Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Hauling gear

The more involved I get in outdoor activities, the more I start thinking about how I'm going to take my camera and other necessities with me. 


I started out carrying my gear with a normal camera bag, like most people do. I could carry it and another bag for my other odds and ends like a jacket (or cram it in the bag when I needed a break) but found after a day moving about I was a little off kilter.  And so were my photos, because the bag always pulled down one side of my body.  Weather I wore it on one shoulder or cross body, both me and my pictures needed straightening at the end of my trip.  Also juggling two bags was a pain and trying to pull the camera out, if the camera bag was in the other bag, was impossible without kneeling down and digging.





    My next idea was to just up the ante and get a camera backpack, a little more money but a good solution to my aching body. But one thing kept coming up, the majority are built to carry camera gear and had little room for other things.  Shopping around  you can find them but the prices start to climb depending on what you need in the backpack.  And often the bags included a laptop sleeve which is a nice feature but I'm never taking my laptop out on a trek. 










  Which lead me to trying to find another solution. And among the handle bar bags and belt packs I found two solutions for turning any bag into a camera bag (within reasonable sizing).  this offered me the ease of sliding it into my messenger bag, day pack, or framed backpack i already own for different trips.  The problem of ease of access is still there, but the flexibility of this option gives me a larger pool in which to find an optimal set up for each adventure.






What we need in a bag is different for each of us, but the bag can be just as important as the camera.  We aren't gonna just toss a good camera in our packets or purses to co-mingle with our keys and change.  So it pays to take the time to figure out what you want and need in a bag. Search Amazon.com for camera bag

No comments:

Post a Comment